Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mama's Got a New Bag


It's springtime and I needed a bag in some of those lighter tones.  I saw a bag in one of my quilting magazines and decided to make some alterations.  I wanted something large enough to carry all the essentials from my purse with the addition of my laptop.  I often take baby girl with me to classes and the addition of the diaper bag and carseat to carry was playing havoc with my back.  I needed to eliminate a bag.


When I completed this bag I was so proud of myself.  I took it into the other room to show my husband.  I was absolutely in love with the finished product. Then.....my husband asked, "Why did you make another diaper bag?"  Way to deflate my ego. 

But now looking at it I can see possibilities in this pattern for a diaper bag....hmmm.  Just add a few pockets here and trim there.  Maybe......


But for now I am enjoying my bag as a project bag for knitting and quilting projects that I take with me to soccer and band practices (oh the joys of being a mother).

Here are a few pics of the interesting additions I made to the pattern.

Cross hatch quilting on bottom
 For the next one I would like to add some feet the base.  I hate putting cloth bags on the floor, especially after spending time putting in all the details like this quilting.

Added flap with snap

 I love the magnetic snap on a flap.  It makes me feel as if I will actually be able to keep the bag closed. "I will not overstuff, I will keep my bag organized.  I will.  I will."
Who am I kidding?

Inside pocket

I added pockets on both inside panels.  One is stitched to hold ink pens and my cell phone, while the other is left whole.  Currently the pockets are holding a needle case, spools of thread, and scissors.


Recycled Belt Piece 
 I had this metal belt that I just loved.  It has been in the bottom of my knitting basket for 3 years now waiting to be repurposed.  The clasp broke and I couldn't bear to throw it away.  The links make perfect  hardware for this bag.

Strap and Loop
I love the detail the repurposed belt link and the fabric handles and loops give.

So even though my well intentioned husband had burst my bubble, I have to give him credit.  He started my creative juices flowing again.  Elasticized pockets on the outside side panels and a row of elasticized pockets on the inside panel.  Possible different hardware.....lots of cute baby fabric....I saw some amazing robot fabric the other day....and I just found out I have a great nephew on the way.   Yes, hubby's innocent comment may have just got him more than he bargained for.

I think I need to go rewrite this pattern to fit my needs, and maybe, just maybe a trip to the fabric store is in my ever growing to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment